- 89/90Photographer: Rolf Arnold
- Der SchimmelreiterPhotographer: Krafft Angerer
- Die Borderline ProzessionPhotographer: Marcel Schaar
- Die RäuberPhotographers: Andreas Pohlmann / Thomas Dashuber
- Die VernichtungPhotographer: Birgit Hupfeld
- Drei SchwestermPhotographer: Sandra Then
- Five Easy PiecesPhotographer: Phile Deprez
- PfushPhotographer: Thomas Aurin
- Real MagicPhotographer: Hugo Glendinning
- Traurige ZaubererPhotographer: Andreas Etter
The seminar is a presentation of the productions chosen for the Theatertreffen based on film clips. In July, West Kowloon collaborates with Goethe-Institut Hong Kong to host Seminar on Theatertreffen 2017. Participants of Seminar on Theatertreffen 2017 will not only get a taste of the work of contemporary European playwrights through these ten productions, but also join discussion sessions with judges, that give insight into both the featured works and the future of theatre in Europe. The event is designed for theatre directors, playwrights, performers, designers, backstage workers and theatre enthusiasts from Hong Kong and the region.
The Berliner Theatertreffen is one of the most important theatre festivals in the world. Taking place in May each year, it brings together theatre-makers, journalists and international guests, and showcases ten of the previous season’s most notable German-language productions. This year, the featured works were chosen from a selection of 377 German productions.
In recent years, German theatre has had a major influence on Chinese performing arts practice, with industry professionals and audiences alike showing interest in new performance techniques and contemporary theatre forms, studying texts and theories, and seeking out new works to watch. This trend has brought a number of German plays to the stage in Hong Kong, Macau, China and Taiwan.
Seminar on Theatertreffen 2017 is part of West Kowloon’s effort to develop the performing arts in Hong Kong by nurturing local artists, establishing platforms for exchange that connect local practitioners with professionals around the world. The seminar will be hosted by two members of the Theatertreffen jury, Eva Behrendt and Till Briegleb, who have been specially invited by Goethe-Institut Hong Kong. Speakers will also include Hong Kong theatre practitioners familiar with German theatre.
Ms Eva Behrendt (Jury, Theatertreffen 2008–2010 and 2017, Cultural Editor)
Mr Till Briegleb (Jury, Theatertreffen in 2002–2005 and 2017, Cultural Editor)
Respondents / Moderators:
Ms Lai Sim Fong (Dramaturg)
Ms Vee Leong (Theatre Writer-director)
Mr Low Kee Hong (Head of Theatre, Performing Arts, WKCDA)
Ms Janice Poon (Playwright-director)
Dr Wong Kwok Kui (Associate Professor , Department of Humanities and Creative Writing, Hong Kong Baptist)
Mr Yan Pat To (Theatre Director and Screenwriter)
21–22 July 2017 (Friday and Saturday)
McAulay Studio, Hong Kong Arts Centre
Conducted in English, with Cantonese / Mandarin simultaneous interpretation
Target Participants: Theatre practitioners and enthusiasts
- Participants must attend the full 2-days seminar and watch the ten German-language productions before the seminar, more details will be announced soon.
- The organiser reserves the right to change the programme content and speakers. All changes will be announced on the website.
- Overseas participants must shoulder their own flight expenses and accommodation.
- Seats are limited. Please apply online on or before 19 June 2017. Notification of successful enrolment will be sent to you on or before 7 July 2017.
This seminar is free of charge.
Mr Yau (852) 2200-0091, firstname.lastname@example.org
Goethe-Institut Hong Kong