If you are passionate about learning, sharing, and connecting with the public, it is time to join us as an M+ docent! You will have the opportunity to lead interactive tours that bring our exhibitions and ideas to life.
We are recruiting a new group of docents. Please apply if you are:
- A natural storyteller who can help our audiences connect with work in the M+ Pavilion gallery through engaging tours and conversations
- Someone who has strong communication skills and an ability to understand and be flexible, to respond the needs of different audiences
- Friendly, cheerful, charismatic, and outgoing
- A self-motivated learner who is comfortable learning on your own and with others
- Willing to devote time and effort to M+ tours and the docent team
- Fluent in spoken Cantonese, English, and/or Mandarin
- Open to learn new ways of interpretation, methods of facilitation, and flexible approaches to tours
- Someone who has experience with leading tours, and a relevant academic background or knowledge of art, design, architecture, and moving image—but this is a bonus, not a must
An M+ tour is not only a way to understand the works on display, but also an opportunity for visitors and docents to engage in an open conversation, to learn together and to share ideas and perspectives.
The M+ docent team plays an important role in facilitating fruitful and meaningful dialogue with audiences by connecting the works on view with daily encounters. Based on your own experience and interests, you can offer a unique interpretation of design and architecture, moving image, visual art and Hong Kong visual culture.
Expectation and Incentive:
We ask docents to join us for at least one year. This is a particularly special time, as we are preparing to open the M+ building, our permanent home in the West Kowloon Cultural District. Docents who join now will be considered for priority placement in the first year that the museum building is open.
Docents join training sessions related to both content and facilitation skills and also practice leading tours. To maintain a certain standard, we arrange a review and evaluation session for each docent.
We offer a moderate stipend to support the cost of transportation. In addition, docents receive invitations to exhibition openings and have the chance to meet artists, curators, and practitioners.
Application is now closed.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited for an interview. Successful candidates are required to participate in our docent training sessions before leading tours.
For enquiries, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org
Data collected will only be used for volunteer recruitment purposes. If you are not invited for an interview within eight weeks from 2 June 2019, you may assume that your application was not successful. Data will be kept for up to three months and will be destroyed afterwards.
(282 KB pdf file)