If you are passionate about learning and connecting with others through visual culture, don’t miss the chance to join us as an M+ Guide! You will have the opportunity to explore the M+ collections, to learn from curators and learning practitioners, and to bring our exhibitions to life for the public through interactive tours and conversations.
We are currently recruiting a new group of M+ Guides for the museum opening. If the following sounds like you, apply now!
- A storyteller who enjoys learning about the history of objects
- A listener who is interested in bringing together different perspectives and ideas
- A learner who is curious about contemporary art, design, architecture, and moving image, and is eager to engage visitors in making connections with the collection in different ways
- Friendly, outgoing, and open-minded—not afraid to chat with strangers!
- Willing to take up at least two shifts every month
- Fluent in two of the following languages: Cantonese, English, or Mandarin—other languages are a plus!
What kinds of tours will I be leading?
M+ Guides will have the chance to deliver three kinds of interpretive offerings for the general public:
- Tours – 45-minute tour of the exhibitions
- Pop-up Chats – 10-minute in-gallery conversations
- Floating Ambassador – walking through the galleries and engaging visitors in quick conversations about the works on view
I don‘t have a background in art. Can I apply?
Yes! We welcome people from all walks of life to be our M+ Guides. While an art background is not necessary, an interest in the field of visual culture – visual art, design, architecture, and/or moving image – is a must.
Can I apply if I am a student?
Yes. If you are a student aged 17 to 22, you are welcome to apply to become an M+ Young Guide!
How many shifts do I have to take up?
We expect guides to take up at least two shifts every month. Each shift is three hours long and takes place during museum opening hours.
How long is the commitment?
We ask you to join us on a two-year term.
Will there be any training sessions?
All guides are required to join eight to ten mandatory training sessions between August and October. You will learn about our exhibitions, facilitation approaches, and have the chance to practice giving tours in the museum before your first shift.
Is there a stipend?
We offer a moderate stipend to support transportation costs.
I was an M+ Docent before. Do I need to re-apply?
Yes. If you have any questions, please reach out to email@example.com.
Deadline: 6 June 2021 (Sunday)
For enquiries, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited for an interview. If you do not hear from us within eight weeks from 6 June 2021, you may assume that your application was unsuccessful.
Data collected will only be used for volunteer recruitment purposes. Data will be kept for up to three months and will be destroyed afterwards.
Presenting Supporter of M+ Young Guides: The Robert H. N. Ho Family Foundation