M+ presents its second hackathon, on 16–17 March. During this two-day event, we invite designers, artists, technologists, and cultural enthusiasts to use M+ Collections open data as raw material for creative and artistic projects. Participants are encouraged to examine, interpret, and activate the M+ Collections through design, code, or other mediums.
M+ continues to embrace open access, and is releasing an updated open data set of over 4,000 collections objects, including archival items, to coincide with this hackathon. Additionally, M+ will be launching a new Collections Beta website, where a growing selection of the museum’s collections will be publicly explorable and browsable. Participants will be able to explore the M+ Collections through the M+ open data set on GitHub, a public M+ API, and through the Collections Beta website.
No knowledge of coding is required to participate in this hackathon, and any out-of-the-box visualisation software and techniques can be used.
Read more and join the discussion here.
Date and time:
Day 1: 16 March 2019 (Saturday), 10:00am-6:00pm
Day 2: 17 March 2019 (Sunday), 10:00am–7:00pm
Eaton House (Level 1, Eaton HK, 380 Nathan Road, Kowloon, Hong Kong)
George Oates, Founder & Designer, Good Form & Spectacle
Dan Catt, Lead Engineer, Micah Walter Studio
Team presentations will be reviewed by a judging panel comprised of M+ staff and hackathon moderators. Prizes will be awarded as follows:
- First prize: 10,000 Hong Kong dollars
- First runner-up: 5,000 Hong Kong dollars
The registration is now full.
Schedule of activities:
|Day 1||10:00am||Introduction, team brainstorming and planning|
|10:15am||Opening Talk by facilitators|
|11:00am||Break up into teams. Hackathon commences|
|6:00pm||Hackathon day 1 ends|
|10:00am||Hackathon day 2 begins|
|4:15pm||Team presentations begin|
|5:30pm||Team presentations end|
Please bring your laptop, a power cord, and any other tools you would like to use during the hackathon. Wi-Fi will be available on-site.
Lunch and light refreshments will be provided for participants.
Staff and their family members of M Plus Museum Limited (“M+”) and West Kowloon Cultural District Authority are NOT allowed to participate in this event.
About the Facilitators:
George Oates is an award-winning interaction designer based in London. Currently, she runs the design firm Good, Form & Spectacle and is the founder of Museum In A Box.
Dan Catt is a creative technologist and coder, formerly of Flickr and the Guardian. He is currently part of the development team at Micah Walter Studio, a digital studio building products for cultural organisations. Dan is the lead engineer working on the M+ API project.
Adverse Weather Arrangements
- The event will be cancelled if Typhoon Signal No.8 or above is raised.
- If the event is cancelled due to the above-mentioned signals or any other reasons, then there will be no rescheduling of the event, however participants are welcome to participate remotely in the hackathon and email notifications detailing arrangements will be sent out accordingly.
- When any of the above weather signals are hoisted, or if the adverse weather conditions happen during the event, then the organiser reserves the right to amend event content, or to stop or cancel the event. Please follow the official instructions on-site. There will be no rescheduling of the event.