Source: The Wikimedia Foundation
Courtesy of Matthew (WMF).
Asia Art Archive presents a Wikipedia Edit-a-thon on women in art in Asia, in collaboration with M+, West Kowloon Cultural District. With the assistance of Wikimedia User Group Hong Kong, the event brings together participants to create and improve articles about women artists and practitioners in Asia on Wikipedia. The main event takes place on Friday, 30 March, at the AAA booth at Art Basel in Hong Kong. A preliminary training tutorial about Wikipedia is scheduled for Saturday, 24 February, at AAA’s offices in Sheung Wan.
The Edit-a-thon helps participants edit Wikipedia to improve its coverage of women and art in Asia. As part of Women Make Art History, AAA’s March 2018 programmes, this event is part of an ongoing effort to contribute to discussions about the representation of women in art and open source knowledge platforms. The collaboration between AAA and M+ shows the commitment of both organisations to address the gender imbalance in their collections and the larger art infrastructure.
24 February 2018 (Saturday)
Asia Art Archive A Space, 10/F, Hollywood Centre, 233 Hollywood Road, Sheung Wan
30 March 2018 (Friday)
Booth P7, Art Basel in Hong Kong, Hong Kong Convention & Exhibition Centre, Wan Chai
The events will be conducted in English, but questions can be asked in Cantonese
Free admission. Online registration required. Limited capacity on a first-come, first-served basis.
Before the Edit-a-thon
1. At the beginning of each session, there will be a thirty-minute tutorial led by the AAA & M+ team. The Hong Kong Wikimedia User Group will be there to assist us with technical questions.
2. Create a Wikipedia account.
3. Enroll as an editor on the event dashboard. (Passcode: makehistory)
4. Bring ideas for creating or improving articles on Wikipedia. If you are looking for inspirations, you may start with the suggestions compiled by the AAA & M+ team. You can find them on the event dashboard.
5. Choose an article to create, or an existing article to improve or translate. Wikipedia recently made a policy change: New editors cannot create pages. Your account must have been active for over ninety-six hours, and must have made at least ten edits to create Wikipedia articles. If you want to create new articles, please work on a draft and we can help you to publish them.
6. Depending on how much you want to create on the day, you may also wish to do preliminary research on your chosen article and bring a previously written draft to the event.
On the Day of Edit-a-thon
Please bring your laptop, power cord, and, if you want to prepare beforehand, sources for your chosen article/s. AAA and M+ will provide reference books and online resources on-site.
Please click here for Art+Feminism’s short instructional videos and PowerPoint presentations to start contributing to Wikipedia; here for "Editing Wikipedia: A guide to improving content on the online encyclopedia"; here for “Illustrating Wikipedia: A guide to contributing content to Wikimedia Commons”; and here to read about the gender bias on Wikipedia.
firstname.lastname@example.org / (852) 2844 1112
Adverse Weather Arrangements:
The event will be cancelled when Typhoon Signal No. 8 or above is hoisted or a Black Rainstorm warning is in force.