An experimental production of Kunqu and traditional Japanese music
Enjoy 20% early bird discount by purchasing tickets from 1 to 21 June 2021.
GuoGuang Opera Company (Taiwan) and Yokohama Noh Theater (Japan) embarked on a three-year creative collaboration incorporating dance, shamisen, contemporary and traditional music and puppetry into an experimental new production. Based on the Kunqu An Embroidered Robe and invoking elements from the Noh classic Matsukaze, this production brings a familiar Chinese folk tale to life in ways never performed before.
Music composed by renowned shamisen master Mozibei Tokiwazu V with lyrics by Yokohama Noh Theatre artistic director Masayuki Nakamura. Taiwan’s Kunqu star Wen Yuhang received special training in Japanese dance to integrate Kunqu performance with traditional Japanese music.
Before the Dream of an Embroidered Robe, GuoGuang will perform a brief excerpt from the Kunqu classic Peony Pavilion in its original form.
See tradition and innovation in a single night - don’t miss this double bill exploring the future of Asian theatre heritage.
Chinese regional languages and Japanese with Chinese and English surtitles
Producers: Chang Yu-hua, Masayuki Nakamura
Artistic Directors: Wang An-chi, Masayuki Nakamura
Playwrights: Wang An-chi, Lin Chia-cheng
Japanese Lyrics: Masayuki Nakamura
Director: Wang Chia-ming
Dramaturg: Lin Yu-pin
Shamisen Music Composer: Mozibei Tokiwazu V
Music Supervisor and Composer: Ko Chih-hao
Kunqu Aria Arranger: Sun Jian-an
Rehearsal Director: Ma Pao-shan
Puppetry Director: Shih Pei-yu
Nihon Buyō Instructor: Etsuko Fujima
Stage Design: Kao Hao-chieh
Lighting Design: Wang Tien-hung
Costume Design: Mitsushi Yanaihara
Hair and Make-up Design: Jang Mei-fang, Tomoya Nakamura
Main Cast: Wen Yu-hang, Liu Chia-hou
5–6 November 2021 (Friday–Saturday)
Approximately 1 hour and 40 minutes including a 15-minute intermission
Grand Theatre, Xiqu Centre
$500, $420, $340, $260
Early Bird Discount:
20% off tickets purchased from 1 June 2021 10:00am to 21 June 2021.
Early Bird discount cannot be applied to concessions or any other promotional offers.
- Half price for senior citizens aged 60 or above, people with disabilities and a companion, CSSA recipients, full-time students. Ticket holders must present proof of eligibility on admission.
- If you are a wheelchair user or a person with a disability you are entitled to buy one ticket at a concessionary price and one additional ticket at the same price for a companion. If there are more than two persons in your party, all other tickets will be at standard price unless the party members qualify for a concession in their own right.
- In line with the latest government regulations and in the interests of community health, the seating capacity is currently operating at reduced levels which may affect the admission and seating arrangement. Please check back for event announcements and updates.
- Children under the age of 6 will not be admitted.
- For the safety of participants, visitors, artists and staff, please note the following health precautions:
- Please provide contact information when purchasing tickets.
- Please bring your own mask and wear it at all times in the venue.
- Ticketholders are advised to arrive at venues in good time.
- Special seating arrangement and capacity control have been implemented. Please follow the instructions of Venue Operations staff.
- If you have travelled outside Hong Kong in the past 14 days or are wearing a home quarantine tracking wristband, please wait until your quarantine period is over before visiting West Kowloon.
- Special Arrangements in Response to Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
(852) 2200 0022, email@example.com
Adverse Weather Arrangements:
If a black rainstorm warning or a typhoon signal no. 8 or above is in force three hours before the start of the event, the event will be cancelled.
Collaborating Partner and Co-produced by:
Early Bird Discount: 20% off tickets purchased from 1 June 2021 10:00am to 21 June 2021.
General booking starts 22 June 2021 (Tuesday) at 10:00am.
Friday, 5 November 2021
7:30PMGrand Theatre, Xiqu Centre
Saturday, 6 November 2021
7:30PMGrand Theatre, Xiqu Centre
07.10.2021 to 09.10.2021, Studio 1, Xiqu Centre
15.10.2021 to 16.10.2021, Studio 1, Xiqu Centre
23.10.2021 to 24.10.2021, Studio 1, Xiqu Centre
12.11.2021 to 13.11.2021, Studio 1, Xiqu Centre
25.03.2022 to 27.03.2022, Grand Theatre, Xiqu Centre