Share your passion for Cantonese opera with elderly members of the community
If you are fluent in Cantonese, aged 55 or above, have experience of Cantonese opera or related skills and are keen to share your passion with senior members of the community, apply now to become a Performing Arts volunteer and be part of our new programme Xiqu Experience for the Golden Age.
The programme takes place at the Xiqu Centre between December 2022 and January 2023, and invites participants aged 60 plus and their companions to take part in a hands-on Cantonese Opera Taster workshop and watch a 60-minute excerpt performance at the Tea House Theatre.
We are now seeking enthusiastic volunteers to help facilitate the workshop and provide on-site support to participants on event days.
Volunteers will be selected through an initial interview process and receive pre-event training by our team.
As a token of appreciation, all volunteers receive a travel allowance for attendance on event days and a volunteer certificate upon completion of the programme. Volunteers also get to enjoy the Tea House Theatre performance with programme participants, deepen their knowledge of Cantonese opera, and have the chance to assist with future performing arts activities.
Applications open until 5:00pm on 7 October 2022 (Friday).
Volunteers should be:
- Fluent in Cantonese
- Aged 55 or above (retirees preferred)
- Passionate about Cantonese opera and performing arts
- Friendly and familiar with working with the elderly
- Available to attend an online selection interview, a volunteer training session and pre-event practice session, as well as at least 2 sessions of event facilitation (availability on all 4 days is preferable)
Selected volunteers will be asked to attend the following:
- A full-day training session on basic Cantonese opera knowledge, how to make Cantonese opera-inspired paper dolls, and skills for communicating with the elderly
- A half-day pre-event workshop rehearsal to learn about the programme and content
- Event day duties:
- Workshop facilitation: Volunteers will work in pairs, assisting our workshop leaders and helping 20 senior participants and their companions make paper dolls and learn about Cantonese opera
- On site support: On event days, volunteers will also help with ad-hoc tasks such as crowd control and escorting participants in the venue
- Online interview (Required)
- 25 October 2022 (Tuesday) 6:00pm–9:00pm
- Volunteer training (Required)
- 3 December 2022 (Saturday) 10:00am–6:00pm
- Pre-event practice (Required)
- 17 December 2022 (Saturday) (Time to be announced)
- Event days: Volunteers will be asked to work one 3-hour session on at least 2 event days
- 21 December 2022 (Wednesday)
- 5 January 2023 (Thursday)
- 6 January 2023 (Friday)
- 11 January 2023 (Wednesday)
For enquiries about the programme or volunteer requirements, please call (852) 2200 0794 or email [email protected].
5:00pm, 7 October 2022 (Friday)
The Xiqu Experience for the Golden Age programme is generously supported by the Ho Cheung Shuk Yuen Charitable Foundation.
Ho Cheung Shuk Yuen Charitable Foundation