The West Kowloon Cultural District represents Hong Kong’s commitment to the arts.
Our vision is to develop an integrated arts and cultural district that will:
- provide quality culture, entertainment and tourism programmes with a must-visit appeal to both local residents and visitors from around the world;
- meet the long-term infrastructure needs of Hong Kong's arts and cultural development and foster organic growth and development of culture and creative industries; and
- become a hub for attracting and nurturing creative talent, an impetus to improve quality of life, as well as a cultural gateway to the Pearl River Delta.
Our objectives are to:
- facilitate the long-term development of Hong Kong as an international arts and cultural metropolis;
- uphold and encourage freedom of artistic expression and creativity;
- enhance and promote excellence, innovation, creativity and diversity in arts and culture;
- enhance the appreciation of a diverse and pluralistic range of the arts;
- develop new and experimental works in arts and culture;
- cultivate and nurture local artistic talent, arts groups and others working in the cultural sector;
- encourage wider participation by the local community in arts and culture;
- promote and provide arts education to the local community;
- facilitate the development of cultural and creative industries;
- facilitate and enhance cultural exchange and cooperation between Hong Kong, Mainland China and beyond;
- facilitate and enhance cooperation between government or non-government bodies and organisations with arts providers, locally and internationally;
- encourage community, commercial and corporate support and sponsorship of arts and culture;
- provide or facilitate the provision of free and accessible open space within the West Kowloon Cultural District to the general public; and
- strengthen the position of Hong Kong as a tourist destination.