The West Kowloon Cultural District is a place that belongs to all Hong Kong people. It is important that it addresses the wider community’s needs and desires.
To hear the opinions of the general public and the arts sector, a three-stage public engagement exercise was conducted from 2009 to 2011. Over the course of 25 months, the public and members of the arts community expressed their aspirations for and expectations of the West Kowloon Cultural District. Views were sought on programming and audience building plans, and the specific need for arts and cultural facilities. The Conceptual Plan Options and the Proposed Development Plan were exhibited, and feedback received was subsequently taken into account throughout the development planning process.
The exercise consisted of public forums, focus group meetings, tours of the Conceptual Plan Options and Proposed Development Plan exhibitions, discussions via online social networks, a Town Hall meeting, seminars and roundtable discussions.
From the exercise, a wealth of information vital to future planning was collected, and a Proposed Development Plan finalised. The plan was submitted to the Town Planning Board at the end of 2011 and approved by the Chief Executive-in-Council on 8 January 2013.
The West Kowloon Cultural Distrct Authority would like to thank everyone who took the time to express their invaluable views. For more information, please read the plans and reports in the Download section.
Summary of the Public Engagement Exercise
Stage 1 (8 October 2009 to 7 January 2010)
- This exercise gauged the community's expectations on the planning, hardware and software development of the district
Details of PE1 can be found here.
Stage 2 (20 August to 20 November 2010)
- The three proposed Conceptual Plans by Foster + Partners, Rocco Design Architects Limited and Office for Metropolitan Architecture were presented to the public
- Foster + Partners’s City Park was favoured by the people of Hong Kong, in terms of green features, the public open space and accessibility
Details of PE2 can be found here.
Stage 3 (30 September to 30 October 2011)
- A Proposed Development Plan, based on Foster + Partners’ concept and incorporating some desirable features from the other two, was presented to the public
- There was strong support amongst the general public for the overall layout of the Proposed Development Plan, as well as for the early implementation of the project.
Details of PE3 can be found here.