Join internationally acclaimed DJ Kid Koala and guests in The Box at Freespace for a one-hour, family-friendly Robot Dance Party. While Kid Koala plays a live DJ set via Zoom, kids build their own robot suits using materials we provide and anything you bring along. Local performers join the fun to help out. When the robot costumes are ready, kids will suit up their robot selves as Kid Koala pumps up the volume and The Box turns into one big Robot Dance Party!
DJ Kid Koala has toured and collaborated with renowned musicians including Radiohead, the Beastie Boys, DJ Shadow and Jack Johnson. He has worked on diverse projects appealing to a wide variety of audiences of all ages and tastes. Known for his ability to jump effortlessly between genres, he will focus on family-friendly upbeat electronic music for this robot extravaganza.
English and Cantonese
Musician and Composer: Kid Koala
MC and Dancer: Adira Amram, Onnie Chan
Dancers: Maresa D’Amore Morrison, Jessi Erian, Eric Luk, Lo Lam, Minna Cheung, Vincent Chiu
Visuals and Live Editor: Corinne Merrell
Assistant Editor and Tech Support: Brian Neuman
19 and 20 December 2020 (Saturday and Sunday)
The Box, Freespace, Art Park, West Kowloon Cultural District (Getting to Freespace)
Each ticket admits 1 child and 1 parent / guardian
10% discount upon presenting “Children's Workshop: Musical Storytelling with Uncle Hung” or “Giant Steps – Jazz Rhythms for Kids” ticket(s). Discount only available for "Robot Dance Party" tickets bought in person at the Xiqu Centre or Freespace ticket office.
Group Booking Discounts:
20% discount for 2 or more tickets (single transaction)
- In line with the latest government regulations and in the interests of community health, the seating capacity is currently operating at reduced levels which may affect the admission and seating arrangement. Please check back for event announcements and updates.
- Suitable for children age 5 and up accompanied by an adult
- 1 work table is for 2 people
- Above discount offers are not valid in conjunction with other promotional offers.
- For the safety of participants, visitors, artists and staff, please note the following health precautions:
- Please provide contact information when purchasing tickets.
- Please bring your own mask and wear it at all times in the venue.
- Temperature checks will be carried out before admission. Visitors showing a temperature of 37.5°C or above will not be able to participate.
- Special seating arrangements are being implemented. Please follow the instructions of our staff.
- If you have travelled outside of Hong Kong in the past 14 days or are wearing a home quarantine tracking wristband, please wait until your quarantine period is over before visiting West Kowloon.
- Special Arrangements in Response to Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
(852) 2200 0022, email@example.com
Adverse Weather Arrangements:
If a black rainstorm warning or a typhoon signal no. 8 or above is in force three hours before the start of the event, the event will be cancelled.
About the Artist:
Photo: Corinne Merrell
Kid Koala’s career began as a scratch DJ in 1994. Since then, he has released eight solo albums. He has toured with artists including Radiohead, the Beastie Boys, Jack Johnson, A Tribe Called Quest and DJ Shadow, and collaborated with many others, such as Deltron 3030 and Gorillaz.
Kid Koala’s unforgettable live shows range from touring turntable carnivals like Vinyl Vaudeville to immersive multimedia shows like The Storyville Mosquito and Satellite Turntable Orchestra, each of which expresses his unique form of storytelling with music, animation, film and interactive entertainment.
Kid Koala has contributed to scores for the films The Great Gatsby, Baby Driver, Looper, and Scott Pilgrim vs. The World amongst others. He has also composed music for The National Film Board of Canada and the Cartoon Network, and been commissioned to create music for runway shows for Dries Van Noten. In addition, he has published the award-winning graphic novels Nufonia Must Fall and Space Cadet.
He lives with his wife and two daughters in Montreal, Canada.
Tickets available from 27 November 2020 (Friday) at 10:00am.
Our package tickets allow you to save on a variety of events, including this one.
20% Package Discount (2 or above tickets)20% discount for single-transaction purchases of 2 or above tickets
Saturday, 19 December 2020
11:00AMThe Box, Freespace
Sunday, 20 December 2020
11:00AMThe Box, Freespace