Part hip-hop dance off, part choreographed performance, The Battle is a cross-genre mix of street dance, contemporary dance, theatre and storytelling. In this immersive, interactive experience, audiences are invited to participate as spectators and judges, or to join as competitors in an experimental dance battle.
Devised and created by Kenny Leung, The Battle invites amateur and professional movers, dancers, creators and theatre makers to come together to compete and play. Over the course of an evening, as impromptu stories unfold, participants battle it out to win over the audience and the judges, and to take the Grand Battle Prize.
Step into the mix – to mingle and watch or to take part and compete – as participants fight their way through a series of playful themed competition challenges that are interspersed with performance. Join us for an epic crossover experience.
Audience members wishing to compete in the dance battle should purchase a “Battler” ticket and complete the registration as instructed. Battlers are required to attend the afternoon pre-selection rounds from 1:00pm to 5:00pm on the day of the performance. Full details to be announced.
The Battle is presented as part of Cypher – an encounter with dance and movement live and online at Freespace this autumn.
Artistic Director / Co-curator / Choreographer: Kenny Leung
Creative Assistant / Performer: Anson Chan
Creative Assistant / Performer: Rain@Strangers
Director / Playwright: Freddy Wong
Composer / Performer: Lego Shum
Set Designer: Jan Wong
Lighting Designer: Zoe Cheung
Costume Designer: Ainsley So
Dancers / Performers: Ahching Wong, Candy Hung, David, Quinchy Ho
Producer: KALOS Productions (HK)
*by kind permission of The Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts
Man of God
#by kind permission of Unlock Dancing Plaza
The full list of judges and guests will be confirmed in the coming months.
12 December 2020 (Saturday)
8:00pm (Ticketed performance and competition)
Approximately 2 hours 30 minutes including a 30-minute intermission
1:00pm (Closed door Pre-selection Rounds. Competitors only)
Approximately 4 hours
The Box, Freespace, Art Park, West Kowloon Cultural District (Getting to Freespace)
$210 (free seating)
Senior citizens aged 60 or above, people with disabilities and a companion, wheelchair users and a companion, CSSA recipients and full-time students.Ticket holders must present proof of eligibility on admission.
Group Booking Discounts:
10% discount for purchases of 5–10 standard tickets (single transaction)
20% discount for purchases of 11–20 standard tickets (single transaction)
30% discount for purchases of 21 or more standard tickets (single transaction)
- Children under the age of 6 will not be admitted.
- Latecomers will only be admitted at a suitable break.
- For the safety of participants, visitors, artists and staff, please note the following health precautions:
- Please provide contact information when purchasing tickets.
- Please bring your own mask and wear it at all times in the venue.
- Temperature checks will be carried out before admission. Visitors showing a temperature of 37.5°C or above will not be able to participate.
- Special seating arrangements are being implemented. Please follow the instructions of our staff.
- If you have travelled outside of Hong Kong in the past 14 days or are wearing a home quarantine tracking wristband, please wait until your quarantine period is over before visiting West Kowloon.
- Special Arrangements in Response to Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
(852) 2200 0022, firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms Tso (852) 2200 0822, email@example.com
Adverse Weather Arrangements:
If a black rainstorm warning or a typhoon signal no. 8 or above is in force three hours before the start of the event, the event will be cancelled.
Presented and Co-produced by Freespace
Tickets available from 21 September 2020 (Monday) at 10:00am.
Our package tickets allow you to save on a variety of events, including this one.
Group Booking 30% discount (21 or above tickets)30% discount for single-transaction purchases 21 or above standard tickets
Group Booking 20% discount (11-20 tickets)
20% discount for single-transaction purchases 11-20 standard tickets
Group Booking 10% discount (5-10 tickets)10% discount for single-transaction purchases 5-10 standard tickets
Saturday, 12 December 2020
8:00PMThe Box, Freespace