This March, Lau Bak Livehouse – Freespace’s cultural melting pot for performance – hosts Tri Ka Tsai, an original Hong Kong-style cabaret production co-created by local multidisciplinary artists Yuri Ng, Anna Lo and Rick Lau.
Taking its name from Hong Kong’s post-handover, tricultural, trilingual generation, Tri Ka Tsai explores the city’s uniquely hybrid cultural and linguistic landscape.
For Cantonese-speaking Hongkongers, having a bilingual mastery of English was always seen as a ticket to professional success. Over the generations, Hong Kong English was shaped and influenced by Cantonese accents and cadences to become the unique dialect we all know today. But how have things changed in the decades since the handover, when Mandarin was also added to the linguistic mix?
Tri Ka Tsai takes a witty and humorous look at how Hong Kong people navigate their trilingual environment, uncovering the joys and horrors of deciphering the city’s inspired variations of Chinglish and Hong Kong-style Mandarin.
Commissioned by Tai Kwun, Tri Ka Tsai premiered in 2019.
Co-creator, Composer and Performer: Anna Lo
Co-creator, Writer and Performer: Rick Lau
Director, Set and Costume Designer: Yuri Ng
Writers: Leon Ko, Lam Bo, Sam Lau, Anna Lo, William Ng, Chris Shum, Tony Taylor, Yan Tung, Manni Weng, Margaret Yang
Musicians: Wilson Lam, Antonio Serrano Jr., Victor Tsang, Wong Tak-chung
11–14 March 2021 (Thursday–Sunday)
Approximately 1 hour 10 minutes without intermission
Lau Bak Livehouse, Freespace, Art Park, West Kowloon Cultural District (Getting to Freespace)
$250 (Free seating. Including one drink coupon to be redeemed on show day)
20% discount for senior citizens aged 60 or above, people with disabilities and a companion, Comprehensive Social Security Assistance (CSSA) recipients and full-time students. Ticket holders must present proof of eligibility on admission. (Concession tickets are limited and offered on a first come, first served basis.)
- Audience can redeem drinks with drink coupon from 8:00pm to 11:00pm, to be enjoyed outdoors.
- Food and drinks would not be served in Lau Bak Livehouse during performance.
- Children ages 6 and below will not be admitted
- In line with the latest government regulations and in the interests of community health, the seating capacity is currently operating at reduced levels which may affect the admission and seating arrangement. Please check back for event announcements and updates.
- For the safety of participants, visitors, artists and staff, please note the following health precautions:
- Please bring your own mask and wear it at all times in the venue unless you are consuming food and drinks.
- Temperature checks will be carried out before admission. Visitors showing a temperature of 37.5°C or above will not be able to participate.
- If you have travelled outside of Hong Kong in the past 14 days or are wearing a home quarantine tracking wristband, please wait until your quarantine period is over before visiting West Kowloon.
- Special Arrangements in Response to Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
(852) 2200 0022, firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms Chan (852) 2200 5632, email@example.com
Adverse Weather Arrangements:
If a black rainstorm warning or a typhoon signal no. 8 or above is in force three hours before the start of the event, the event will be cancelled.
Tickets available from 25 February 2021 (Thursday) at 10:00am.