The March series comprises five iconic xiqu films, each highlighting a different opera genre and starring an esteemed female xiqu artist. From rare footage of xiqu performers to modern adaptations of period dramas, these five screen gems tell women’s stories from ancient China that still resonate today.
Liyuan opera film A Widow’s Lament is amongst two-time Plum Blossom Award-winner Zeng Jingping’s one of her masterpieces. In the tragic story, she portrays a widow that endures pain and humiliation with resilience.
General Mu Guiying Takes Command sees eminent Yuju master Ma Jinfeng in a career-defining performance as a fierce and seasoned female military commander.
Yueju film The Princess Falls in Love stars Xia Meng, a 1950s and 60s screen icon. The skilled actress delivered an unforgettable performance as the titular princess with nuance, versatility and aplomb.
Jinju artist Li Yuexian specialises in xusheng (bearded male) roles. In Saving General Yang, Li’s cross-gender turn as military general Yang Yanzhao is a masterful display of her extraordinary technical skills.
Pingju film Flower as My Matchmaker is one of Xin Fengxia’s best-known works. In it, the “Queen of Pingju” plays a vivacious young woman who is not afraid to fight for the love she wants.
Screenings courtesy of China Film Archive, China Theatre Association and Xi’an Film Studio Co.
|18 March 2021 (Thursday)||7:30pm||A Widow’s Lament
Liyuan opera｜2013｜Colour｜117 mins｜DVD｜Chinese and English subtitles
|19 March 2021 (Friday)
||7:30pm||General Mu Guiying Takes Command
Yuju｜1958｜B&W｜80 mins｜DCP｜Lyrics with Chinese subtitles
|20 March 2021 (Saturday)||3:30pm||The Princess Falls in Love
Yueju｜1962｜Colour｜114 mins｜DCP｜No subtitles
|7:30pm||Saving General Yang
Jinju｜1984｜Colour｜96 mins｜DCP｜Lyrics with Chinese subtitles
|21 March 2021 (Sunday)||3:30pm||Flower as My Matchmaker (restored version)
Pingju｜1963｜Colour｜112 mins｜DCP｜Lyrics with Chinese subtitles
Seminar Hall, Xiqu Centre
- Unless otherwise specified, half price for senior citizens aged 60 or above, people with disabilities and a companion, Comprehensive Social Security Assistance (CSSA) recipients and full-time students. Ticket holders must present proof of eligibility on admission.
- If you are a person with a disability, you are entitled to buy one ticket at a concessionary rate and one additional ticket at the same price for a companion. If there are more than two persons in your party, all other tickets will be at the standard price unless party members individually qualify for a concession.
- Concessionary tickets are available on a first come, first served basis, subject to availability, and may not be offered at some events.
- In line with the latest government regulations and in the interests of community health, the seating capacity is currently operating at reduced levels which may affect the admission and seating arrangement. Please check back for event announcements and updates.
- For the safety of participants, visitors, artists and staff, please note the following health precautions:
- Please bring your own mask and wear it at all times in the venue.
- Temperature checks will be carried out before admission. Visitors showing a temperature of 37.5°C or above will not be able to participate.
- If you have travelled outside of Hong Kong in the past 14 days or are wearing a home quarantine tracking wristband, please wait until your quarantine period is over before visiting West Kowloon.
- Special Arrangements in Response to Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Xiqu Film Screenings due to take place from 14-19 January 2021 have been tentatively rescheduled to March 2021. Details will be announced on www.westkowloon.hk in due course. For more information please see our Ticketing Arrangements page or contact us at (852) 2200 0022, firstname.lastname@example.org.
(852) 2200 0022, email@example.com
Adverse Weather Arrangements:
If a black rainstorm warning or a typhoon signal no. 8 or above is in force three hours before the start of the event, the event will be cancelled.
Tickets available from 5 February 2021 (Friday) at 10:00am.
Thursday, 18 March 2021
7:30PMLiyuan Opera Film: A Widow’s Lament
Friday, 19 March 2021
7:30PMYuju Film: General Mu Guiying Takes Command
Saturday, 20 March 2021
3:30PMYueju Film: The Princess Falls in Love
Saturday, 20 March 2021
7:30PMJinju Film: Saving General Yang
Sunday, 21 March 2021
3:30PMPingju Film: Flower as My Matchmaker (restored version)