In this creative sharing session, the Shanghai Kunqu Opera Troupe discuss their acclaimed experimental production The Chairs – a Kunqu adaptation of Eugène Ionesco’s 1952 classic absurdist play Les Chaises starring Plum Blossom award winners Wu Shuang and Shen Yili. Sharing insight on how the minimalist production incorporates traditional Kunqu music and singing styles, they also look at how layers of Chinese cultural symbolism were added to the source material to give a new perspective on the absurdity and loneliness of human existence. The session includes video excerpts from the play and offers audiences the chance to exchange questions and ideas with the artists and experts.
Guest speakers will participate in the sharing sessions via live-stream.
10 October 2020 (Saturday)
Studio 1, Xiqu Centre and live-streaming
Mandarin supplemented in Cantonese (sharing) and regional languages (excerpts). No surtitles.
Free admission. Limited capacity on a first come, first served basis. Please register online in advance.
*Audiences attending Experimental Chinese Opera Festival 2020 Creative Sharing Sessions will also be entitled to advance booking for next year's festival. Details to be announced.
This event takes place at the Xiqu Centre and will also be live-streamed on Microsoft Teams. Participants registering to attend online will receive a streaming link for the session with their confirmation email.
- The organiser reserves the right to make changes to the programme and speakers.
- West Kowloon reserves the right to release the seats of participants who fail to register their arrival before the start of the talk.
- There will be official photo and video shooting during the sharing session.
- For the safety of participants, visitors, artists and staff, please note the following health precautions:
- Please bring your own mask and wear it at all times in the venue.
- Temperature checks will be carried out before admission. Visitors showing a temperature of 37.5°C or above will not be able to participate.
- Special seating arrangements are being implemented. Please follow the instructions of our staff.
- If you have travelled outside of Hong Kong in the past 14 days or are wearing a home quarantine tracking wristband, please wait until your quarantine period is over before visiting West Kowloon.
- Special Arrangements in Response to Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Wheelchair accessible seats and companion seats are available on a first come, first served basis. Please request with at least 4 days' advance notice.
Adverse Weather Arrangements:
If a black rainstorm warning or a typhoon signal no. 8 or above is in force three hours before the start of the event, the event will be cancelled.
Xiqu Centre, West Kowloon Cultural District
06.11.2020 to 13.11.2020, Studio, Xiqu Centre
22.10.2020 to 27.10.2020, Studio, Xiqu Centre