Nurturing local talents and developing new works are key to sustaining the growth and long-term development of local theatre. One of the West Kowloon Cultural District (WKCD)’s missions is to cultivate and nurture the professional development of local arts groups. To realise this mission, building the “hardware” – physical buildings and infrastructure, as well as developing the “software” – the people, the programmes, the events, are equally important. A scheme for developing new local works is planned to be put forward by WKCD at Freespace, one of the Performing Arts Phase 1 facilities of the cultural district, for this purpose, in providing a platform for local new works development.
WKCD will launch a series of New Works Forums, the first of which will focus on new writing in theatre.
In order to realise this concept and to discuss the future development of local theatre, WKCD will present a public forum at the International Black Box Festival 2014 in collaboration with the Hong Kong Repertory Theatre. In the half-day forum, international experts in theatre arts will come together to discuss the development trend of new works in different regions, and share experiences in nurturing talents for the field.
29 March 2014
3pm to 6pm
- Louis Yu (Executive Director of Performing Arts, WKCDA)
- Low Kee Hong (Head of Artistic Development (Theatre), WKCDA)
- Tanya Palmer, Director of New Play Development of Goodman Theatre, Chicago
- Tay Tong, Managing Director of TheatreWorks and Arts Network Asia
- Bernice Kwok-wai Chan, Manager of International Association of Theatre Critics (Hong Kong)
- Chan Ping Chiu, Artistic Director of On and On Theatre Workshop
- Fung Wai Hang, Resident Director of the Hong Kong Repertory Theatre, Curator of the HKREP International Black Box Festival 2014
- Poon Wai Sum, Resident Playwright and Discipline Leader in Dramatic Writing of Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts
|14:30 – 15:00||Registration|
|15:00 – 15:05||Introduction/ Welcoming speech by Louis Yu (WKCDA) and Chan Kin Bun (HKREP)|
|15:05 – 15:30||Tay Tong’s presentation|
|15:30 – 16:00||Panel discussion (Poon Wai Sum and Chan Ping Chiu)|
|16:00 – 16:25||Q&A|
|16:25 – 16:45||Break|
|16:45 – 17:10||Tanya Palmer’s presentation|
|17:10 – 17:40||Panel discussion (Bernice Kwok-wai Chan and Fung Wai Hang)|
|17:40 – 18:00||Q&A|
The forum will be conducted in English, with Cantonese simultaneous interpretation.
HKREP Rehearsal Studio 1, 6/F, Sheung Wan Civic Centre
2200-0096 (Ms. Tung), firstname.lastname@example.org