Within the next 5 years, we will see the opening of many new arts centres in mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan. Critical to the sustainability of these new cultural and arts infrastructure is the race to look at relevant content creation and audience development. However, the arts ecosystem is more than art, artists and audiences. We will also need to look at the key gap of cultural workers like producers and curators who function as facilitators and bridges in the artistic enterprise.
This network meeting and forum is the first of its kind in the region organised by West Kowloon Cultural District Authority. It will begin the important work of mapping and bringing together like-minded individuals in the independent and institutional scene of the region to focus on a set of action plans to ensure the sustainability of these new cultural ambitions. One of the key outcomes of this meeting is how collectively we can contribute to the growth and development of the next generation of cultural workers needed to fill critical roles in this burgeoning arts and cultural landscape of the region.
Reimagining the Role of Producers: A Response to the Burgeoning Performing Arts Infrastructure of the Region
22 May 2015
Producers, curators, arts administrators, cultural management students, arts organisations, etc
English and Mandarin, with English / Mandarin simultaneous interpretation
- Kyu Choi (South Korea & Australia) / AsiaNow & Asian Producers’ Platform
- Darren O' Donnell (Canada) / Mammalian Diving Reflex
- Alison Friedman (China) / Ping Pong Productions
- Tang Fu Kuen (Thailand) / Independent Producer
- Low Kee Hong (Hong Kong), Head of Artistic Development (Theatre), Performing Arts Department, WKCDA
- Anna CY Chan (Hong Kong), Head of Artistic Development (Dance), Performing Arts Department, WKCDA
Free admission. Limited capacity. First-come, first-served.
Online registration is now closed. Walk-in registrations will be allowed depending on the availability of seats on the day.
Ms. Yum (852)2200 0096, email@example.com
Adverse Weather Arrangement:
- 20-21 May: Programme will be cancelled if a black rainstorm warning or a typhoon signal no. 8 or above is still in force after 7am in the morning of the event date.
- 22 May: Programme will be cancelled if a black rainstorm warning or a typhoon signal no. 8 or above is still in force after 1pm in the morning of the event date.
*The organiser reserves the right to change the programme content and speakers. All changes will be announced on the website.
Other speakers of the 2-day closed-door meeting will also join the public forum. They are Chang Hungwei (Performing Arts Alliance / Taiwan), Pirjetta Mulari (Dance Info Finland / Finland), Karen Cheung (Guangdong Modern Dance Festival / Hong Kong & China), Rachel Cooper (Asia Society / USA), Crystal (Edinburgh Fringe Showcase / China), Erik Kuong (Independent Producer / Macau), Heidi Lee (Independent Producer & School of Art and Design at Shantou University / Hong Kong & China), Lee Huey-mei (National Theatre & Concert Hall and Taiwan International Festival of Arts / Taiwan) and Yoyo Kung (Prototype Paradise / Taiwan).