The aim of the West Kowloon Xiqu Centre is to preserve and develop Cantonese opera and other forms of Chinese opera by providing emerging actors with training and performing opportunities and nurturing local talent.
Respecting tradition and artistic innovation, we hope to create and present vibrant productions of Chinese opera. The Experimental Chinese Opera Series offers artists an invaluable opportunity to transcend traditional frameworks and explore new and original works.
In 2016, the West Kowloon Xiqu Centre signed a Letter of Intent with the Shanghai Center of Chinese Operas. In December that year, we also participated in the "Shanghai Experimental Xiqu Festival" with the experimental Cantonese opera Farewell My Concubine (New Adaptation). The Experimental Chinese Opera Series marks the second of our exchange performance showcases. With it we present four innovative new productions as part of our continued exploration of new paths of artistic development.
- Experimental Cantonese Opera “Farewell My Concubine” (New Adaptation)
- Liyuan Opera “Zhu Wen” (The Only Extant Version)
- Experimental Huaiju Theatre “Kong Yiji” * (New Adaptation)
- Peking Opera and Kunqu Fusion “Chun Shuidu” * (New Adaptation)
*The productions “Kong Yiji” and “Chun Shuidu” are recommended by the Shanghai Center of Chinese Operas
Date: 6 - 13 September 2017
Venue: HKRep Black Box, 8/F Sheung Wan Civic Centre
Ticket price: $180
- Half price for people with disabilities and the accompany minders and Comprehensive Social Security Assistance (CSSA) recipients
- 10% discount for HKRep Pals
Credit Card Telephone Booking: 2111 5999
Internet Booking: www.urbtix.hk
Ticketing Enquiries: 3761 6661
Programme Enquiries: 2200 0709
- The organiser reserves the right to make changes to the programme and artists. Suitable for aged 6 and above.
- Audiences are advised to arrive punctually. Late comers will not be admitted until a suitable break.
- Patrons can only enjoy one of the discount schemes.